Tuesday 1 May 2012

Lace cookies

These lovely lace cookies are easy to make.

Pink lace cookie

This is what you need
  • A batch of Sugar Cookies. I posted the recipe I use just before this post. I customised my standard recipe by adding a teaspoon of rosewater with the butter and sugar and a little pink gel colour.  I used the pink gel colour by Wilton.
  • Small flower cutter. I used one from an Eddingtons set that I got at my local Hobby Craft
  • White ready made fondant coloured with pink colouring or pink ready made fondant
  • Lace silicone mould
I used this floral lace mould from Squires Kitchen
    • Lustre dust (I used Sugarflair snowflake from my local sugarcraft shop, Squires also do one with the same name)
    • Clean paint brush
    • Small rolling pin.
    • A little white vegetable fat (e.g. Trex)
    • Edible glue or piping gel.
    Instructions
    • Take a small amount of the fondant about the size of a golf ball or a little bigger
    • Get a pea sized amount of the white vegetable fat and rub it between your palms, then roll the fondant into a ball between your palms so it it lightly coated in the vegetable fat. This stops the fondant sticking.
    • Rub a little more vegetable fat on you work surface. 
    • Roll out the fondant with the small rolling pin till about 4mm to 5mm thick. I use a Wilton rolling pin that comes with guides so that you can roll it out evenly to the required thickness. You could also use marzipan spacers.
    • Carefully lift the rolled fondant and lay it on top of the silicone mould. Use your fingers to press the fondant into the mould firmly and evenly, then carefully peel the fondant off and lay it on your work surface.
    • Use the same cutter that you used for the biscuits to cut the fondant to shape. Put the cutter on top of your fondant and look down the middle to make sure you have the pattern you want and cut. I have centred it around one of the lace flowers
    • Stick the fondant on top of one of the sugar cookies with the edible glue or piping gel.  It you don't have these you can usually get away with using a bit of water.
    • Finally use your paint brush to brush a little lustre dust over the top of the cookie.
    That is it. You are done. If you try these cookies, I'd love to see how they turn out, please share at my Facebook Page

    The Sugar Mice Facebook Page

    This is another cookie made using another part of the lace mould for a different look.

    Pink lace cookie

    No comments:

    Post a Comment