Sunday 14 July 2013

Beehive Cake


This is the second of two charity cakes that I told you about a while back. It is not the most original of cakes, but it is sweet in every sense of the word. There is a lovely beehive cake that Martha Stewart makes, she drizzles hers with a sticky honey glaze and bakes it in her own pan which is no longer made. The Martha Stewart pan is highly sought after, there is a campaign to try and bring it back and I saw one change hands recently on ebay for almost $300!

Not having the budget for a vintage Martha tin, I got mine from Nordic Ware. I decided to try a recipe that Peggy Porshcen uses for her Bundt tin cakes. A lemon, poppyseed and almond cake from her Boutique Baking book. If you want the recipe, you will need to buy the book, it will be worth it, this book is amazing.



I had it in my head that I was going to hand mould some bees out of yellow fondant, paint on some stripes, make some wings, then I remembered that I had this lovely Butterfly and Insect Brooch mould by Karen Davies, so I saved myself a bit of time and moulded a few bees.



Here is a little moulded bee. I moulded the bees using a ready made modelling paste from Squires Kitchen.



And a painted bee. I love the way a little colour brings the moulds to life and gives them so much character.

To colour the bees:


  • I brushed Sugarflair's primrose yellow petal dust over the body of the bee;
  • Painted stripes with confectioners glaze coloured with black gel colour and
  • Brushed the wings over with Squires Kitchen fairy sparkle


To make the cake look extra special:
  • I placed it on a double board (two cake drums stuck on top of each other);
  • Wrapped the boards with two colours of ribbon and 
  • Used a stylised rose impression rolling pin to pattern the fondant used to cover the board

I think this is my favourite impression pin and even though the design is of roses, I think it has something of the bee about it too.


And finally, the finished cake


That's all for today
Thanks for popping by and please call again soon

Keep up with my latest creations and inspirations in all these places

Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment