Wednesday 12 September 2012

Vintage Brooch Champagne Celebration Cookies


There is a lovely trend in England for champagne afternoon tea, just like a traditional afternoon tea with teeny tiny sandwiches (no crusts) a few slices of different cakes and a scone with jam and cream all served on the daintiest of cake stands, except instead of the usual pot of tea, this tea is served with a lovely glass (or two) of champagne, most likely pink and maybe in a teacup.

These cookies were my contribution to a very special champagne afternoon tea to celebrate a long awaited engagement.


You can only really add champagne flavour to a cookie by using a ready made flavouring, as to add enough actual champagne to a cookie recipe would make the dough overly wet. These cookies are made using a basic Sugar Cookie Recipe  adding a teaspoon so of champagne flavouring (I used one by Beau) along with the egg. I also added about four toothpick dips of Wilton Creamy Peach colour.

Cut the cookies out with a fluted oval cutter slightly bigger than the mould you want to use and bake as the instructions.

Decoration

Equipment
Vintage brooch mould
Modelling paste (you really need to use a modelling paste to pick up the finer details in this mould - if you can't get any, you could try using regular fondant or sugar paste and freezing it for 15 minutes before un-moulding)
Selection of lustre dusts (see below for the ones I used)
A couple of paint brushes
Edible glue or piping gel


These cookies are decorated using a vintage brooch mould from Karen Davies. I have quite a few of Karen's lovely moulds and will be using this one again for a couple more projects over the coming weeks. 

I have had this mould for a while, but was finding it difficult to paint, I mentioned this on Karen Davies' Facebook group and she kindly directed me to this video of her decorating the moulded brooch. I used a slightly different method to Karen in that I rubbed vegetable fat between my palms and rolled the ball of paste between my palms to stop it sticking and I applied the lustre at the end rather than the beginning. If you are going to have a go, try both ways, see which works best for you

What a difference a little lustre makes ...
I love the way that brushing a mould with petal dust and/or lustre dust completely transforms it, so thought I would show you three stages of the process here - 
1. The plain mould
2. Holly green petal dust and dusky lilac lustre dust added
3. All over brushing with ivory lustre and a little edible glue and edible glitter applied to the centre and finally a few highlights added with a little edible gold paint.

All of the dusts used are by Sugarflair from my local sugar craft shop.

Once decorated, leave to dry for a day or so, the attach to your cooled cookies with a little piping gel or edible glue. 



That's all for today
Thanks for popping by and please call again soon

Keep up with my latest creations and inspirations in all these places

Follow Me on Pinterest



Oh, if you are idly wondering what this mould looks like in pink - watch this space



















No comments:

Post a Comment